Springerle are a kind a bredele, traditional Christmas cookies baked in Alsace, France. They are similar to anis bredele.
We already published many recipes of bredele on the website (in French).
On the Instagram account of la cuisine de mémé Moniq, ac123.bakeI asked us for the recipe in English. We already published the recipe in French here : bredele – pavés à l’anis.
So here is our recipe of springerle in English.
If you want to decorate the cookies, a specific type of embossing rolling pin is used.
Ingredients for the spingerle
- 500 g sugar
- 300 g flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 tsp of baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 tbs of anise seeds (green anise)
Preparation of the springerle
- Put the sugar in the bowl of a food processor
- Break the eggs into the sugar (both parts, white and yolk)
- Beat the eggs and the sugar with a whisk for about 20 min, until fluffy and doubled in size
- Add the flour, the baking powder, the salt, the anise seeds and keep mixing for some minutes
- Put the dough in the fridge for at least 2 hours
- Flour your work surface and a basic rolling pin (not the embossing one)
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of 6 to 8 millimeters
- Flour well the dough (important so that the dough doesn’t stick to the pin!) and roll the embossing rolling pin once
- Remove the excess of flour with a pastry brush
- Cut rectangles of dough with a pizza wheel or a knife
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the biscuits on it
- Let the baking sheet rest overnight before cooking the biscuits, it’s important
- Preheat the oven at 180 °C – 356 °F – Thermostat 6
- Bake the cookies 15 minutes
Our online presences
A comment, an opinion, a little hello… are always appreciated, and above all we are attentive to your ideas, reproaches… to make this blog and our presence on the net evolve.
Also if you cook or bake one of our recipes, indicate us the link of your publication or send us the photo of your realization to email@example.com with the title of the recipe, we will try to add it to the original recipe by indicating that you are the cook????